Ask Me Everything - Dr. Portela (@208skindoc) Board Certified Dermatologist - Instagram Live

Comments

• Elizabeth17
    Elizabeth17 Member Posts: 4 👋 | Newcomer

What is the most rewarding aspect of being a dermatologist?

• Elizabeth17
    Elizabeth17 Member Posts: 4 👋 | Newcomer

What has been the hardest part of being a dermatologist?

• Jaicee_lake1
    Jaicee_lake1 Member Posts: 7 👋 | Newcomer

Hello Dr. Portela!

I am a highschool student currently in HOSA and I am also taking the Health Science Pathway.

I have some questions for you regarding your career in the health care field: what is the hardest thing about working in the healthcare field? What is your favorite thing about Dermatology and why? Why did you decide to go into Dermatology?

College Related: What college did you attend to get your degree? What did you major in college? From your personal experience, what was the hardest thing about achieving your degree?

Thank you so much for considering my questions and I hope to be hearing back from you!

• Jaicee_lake1
    Jaicee_lake1 Member Posts: 7 👋 | Newcomer

Greetings Dr.Portela!

Another question: what does your normal day to day work does your work life look like? How intensive is dermatology? Do you normally do surgeries or skin check ups or mole/wart removals? Or is there not really a "normal" work flow?

Thanks so much!

• delisev
    delisev Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

Hi my name is Delise Vander Horst and I was wondering if you believe all the challenges and schooling you went through was worth it to get where you are now.

• Gabby_Rivera13
    Gabby_Rivera13 Member Posts: 2 👋 | Newcomer

What led you to becoming a dermatologist?

• Gabby_Rivera13
    Gabby_Rivera13 Member Posts: 2 👋 | Newcomer

Were they any other career paths you considered and how did you know you wanted to be a dermatologist?

• hmccoy
    hmccoy Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

How do you ensure that your practices and techniques are up to date with industry standards? and what made you want to go into that field??

• annatothh
    annatothh Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

Hello, Dr. Portela what was your favorite part of your schooling, and what has become your favorite part of your job?

• myles_duck123
    myles_duck123 Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

Hey Dr. Portela, I'm a high school senior as an STNA and I'm studying phlebotomy. What keeps you motivated in your profession?

• maci0512
    maci0512 Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

Hi Dr. Portela, if there was one piece of advice you could give anyone regarding anything dermatology, what would it be?

• Serena17
    Serena17 Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

Hi Dr. Portela, I am in a medical Technology course as a senior in High School. Currently we are learning about the difference in burns on the body. My question is about the healing process. How long does it take for a Third degree burn to heal and if there could potentially be any long term affects?

• Destiny_Rose_Davis23
    Destiny_Rose_Davis23 Kendall, WisconsinMember Posts: 242 💫 | Contributor

Hello Dr. Portela,

My name is Destiny Rose Davis, I am a junior in High school. I really want to pursue science and the medical field more than what I have access to. My grandpa was a pediatrician and he as always inspired me to help others. Most of my family have or are in the medical field, but my grandpa is my idol out of everyone. He when to SIU Carbondale and lives in Quincy Illinois and worked at the hospital there. Also, he ended up retiring last year cause he wanted to help out our church and help out his community. He has told me that going in to the medical field will be tough, and I should take as many science classes that I can. I have finally decided that I want to be a pediatrician. So, I can work with children and help them when they are sick. Also, if you have time I would like to ask you if there is anything else I should know before fully pursuing that field of study.

Sincerely,

Destiny Rose Davis

• melvictorero
    melvictorero Miami, FLMember Posts: 2 👋 | Newcomer

Hello Dr. Portela!

I am a current high school student looking to pursue a career in the medical field after I graduate. I have a few questions for you in regards to your area of work: what is the best aspect of this profession? what skills are required for the job? what is the length of training? what advice would you give a high school student interested in the field? Thank you so much for taking into consideration my questions and I hope to hear back from you soon!

Sincerely,

Melany Victorero

• imchas101
    imchas101 Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

How did Covid-19 effect your Career, And How did it all make everything change on how you study your practice? What is some good advice you could give to medical students on dermatology.

This discussion has been closed.