$2,500 HOSA Scholarship Challenge

124»

Comments

• AmeliaG
    AmeliaG Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

@HOSA #HOSAscholarshipchallenge

Hi, my name is Amelia Goodwin, I am currently a junior at Estes Park High School in Colorado.

Every year I would say my “see you laters” to my mom when she left for her medical missions trip to help those in need in the beautiful and impoverished country of Nicaragua. A few weeks later when she returned home I had the opportunity to learn all about the people she helped and the relationships she built throughout the community. It fascinated me that my mom had this opportunity to meet new people every year on this trip to help this community of people while also maintaining those relationships from previous years.

This experience that my mom shared with me inspired my love for traveling, building relationships with people, learning new languages, and most of all working in the medical field and volunteering to help others in countries who are in need. My goal in the future is to volunteer for non-profit organizations helping people all over the world. I would love to experience different cultures from outside the United States because every experience I have had in other countries has made me envious of other cultures. I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to experience different cultures aside from their own to open a whole new world and perspective. I have learned some Spanish and am currently learning Italian in hopes of one day I can finally use my linguistic knowledge to communicate with other people in need.

This year I decided to join HOSA and learn more about what it was because previously I had never heard of it or had the opportunity to join. HOSA offers numerous opportunities where I can indulge myself in new medical knowledge and the chance to compete with other people about topics I have learned about. I have learned a lot about experiences concerning the patient - provider interaction from HOSA and through another concurrent enrollment medical class. These classes have allowed me to learn more about something I am passionate about while also assisting me in reaching my goals in the future. Currently, I live vicariously through my mom and her passion for helping others in hopes of one day it will be a reality through the assistance of HOSA .

• annieh1442
    annieh1442 Member Posts: 3 👋 | Newcomer

Hello, my name is Annie Huang, a senior at Newport High school, and I have participated in HOSA for the last 3 years. Every since freshman year, I have been interested in the medical field, but was unsure of which profession to major in for college. Joining HOSA has given me an opportunity to explore and learn the different medical pathways. Last year, I participated in the medical assisting competition, and even though I didn't place in the top participants, I loved everything that I learned about it! In the future I plan to become a Nurse or a Physicians assistant. I love assisting others and having the opportunity to provide as much help as possible to my community! Being apart of HOSA has given me an opportunity learn more about my career. HOSA has provided many opportunities for me and have expanded my knowledge on the medical field, which I truly appreciate and hope to learn more in the future!

@HOSA #HOSAScholarshipchallenge

• Eternual
    Eternual Member Posts: 9 👋 | Newcomer

I’ve always been amazed at how everything works together the way it does to give us the life we take for granted. Our hundreds of different types of cells all serve special and important purposes in our bodies, just to keep our hearts beating. Every single thought is powered by millions of signals in our nervous system. On a larger scale, an unimaginably diverse range of organisms (living in the deep-sea, up in the sky, and down underground to name a few places) interact with each other to maintain Earth and its beauty, which we aren't grateful enough for.

Starting high school, I was having trouble finding a good way to fully immerse myself in the world of science and healthcare. But after discovering HOSA, I felt like I was finally in the right place. Everyone around me shared a passion to help people, discover new things, and change the world, while each had diverse goals. One of the things that struck me as the most amazing was the sheer number of different events HOSA offered. There was something for everyone, even the people who didn’t know where to start. It made me feel at home knowing a community like HOSA exists for our generation, which will shape the future of healthcare. Unlike many other healthcare-related competitions, HOSA focuses more on real-life applications and skills, instead of just memorization of terms. HOSA helps and will continue to help me appreciate the complexity of nature and the efforts of scientists to study it! The more we know about science, the more we can appreciate the beauty of life, even if we can never fully understand its diversity and complexity.

Personally, my goal after education is to help find the root causes of aging (many of which have already been discovered) and work to diminish or even completely get rid of the negative effects of old age. I recognize that this is an uncommon dream profession, but I believe that age should never hinder a person's ability to enjoy life and discover new things, and I am planning on doing HOSA events related to human growth and development, lab science, genetics/epigenetics, and/or molecular biology! The open ended posters and projects also open up many possibilities. If I'm being honest, I haven't decided what I'm doing yet because of the variety of complex choices. But that's okay, because for me, complexity and variety are the most amazing features that all life holds. Either way, I can't wait for HOSA this year and to start working towards my goals!

@HOSA #HOSAScholarshipchallenge

• yeimillya1
    yeimillya1 Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

Hello, my name is Yeimilly Aguilar and I am currently a sophomore attending San Luis High School. I joined the HOSA community this year since it is my first year being able to assist CTE classes that can help me out with my career choice. Thanks to school opportunities, I was able to admit and become a member of HOSA through two career and technical education classes: Sports medicine and Rehabilitation Services, and Emergency Medical Services. From the moment I started these classes, I fell in love with them. I love the idea of being able to help people out when needed and dig deeper and further into my future profession.

When I was younger, I remember playing doctor with my cousins. I remember checking their stomach with the remote control to see if they had any tumors, helping them out with their "broken arm" by using my grandma's shirts and using the calculator as a fake x-ray generator to be able to see their bones. Since I can think of, I always desired to be a part of a health career profession, when I started middle school, I figured out I wanted to be a sonographer. I entered high school with the thought in my head of pursuing sonography, however, when I became a part of the HOSA team I realized that I completely fell in love with radiology. HOSA not only introduced me to a new career in my mind, but it is also teaching me how to go after my goal of becoming a radiology technician by opening doors like this and into the health care system.

Emergency medical services are a part of the HOSA community. My EMS class could help me with my future career, radiology by providing proper patient care. For example, knowing the types of wounds a person has could be easily determined before the x-rays come through. Radiologists are also a part of the emergency room and are the first persons to respond when trauma patients come in. Not only are they trained to handle and position patients with fractures and in pain, and attend surgery cases, but they also go to the intensive care unit and the neonatal intensive care unit, also known as ICU and NICU. These technologists also have to know the human anatomy well, in my EMS class, I learn about the types of trauma, its causes, and how to help relieve it, we also learn about fractures, sprains, and strains. We are taught how to position the injured or in pain body part so it can get be able to get to the emergency room or hospital safely.

My second HOSA class is Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation services. This class was the one that introduced me to more medical field careers, where I met radiology. This class will teach me about x-rays, the type of injuries as well, and how to read them. SMR teaches patient positioning and human anatomy. It also taught us the proper vocabulary also known as medical terms used in the medical field and how to easily define long words by shortening them and finding their suffix, prefix, or root word definition. Communication is key with patients. Sports medicine helps ask the right questions to understand injuries and document that information for records. Hosa also provides volunteer hours in our field of interest, for example, radiology which could benefit and help me learn.

I am beyond thankful for HOSA introducing and opening doors for me. I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge with radiology, that is why HOSA is such a beneficial group to be in since it will offer me many opportunities in my field of choice.

#HOSAScholarshipchallenge @HOSA #HOSA_Scholarship_Challenge #HOSAscholarshipchallenge

• lilykendall0604
    lilykendall0604 Member Posts: 1 👋 | Newcomer

Hi my name is Lily Kendall, this is my second year in HOSA, and this is my application for the HOSA scholarship. I'm going to be honest, when I first joined HOSA, I was very confused on what I wanted to do with my life. I had joined so that I could compete in the Health Career Display competition with my friend. For our display we chose to do general surgery. Doing all the research for that project and learning all about what its like to be a surgeon really showed me what I needed to do with my life. Before I joined HOSA, I knew I wanted to help people. I wanted to help children who were in rough homes. I never thought that I would want to be a surgeon. But now, I cant see myself doing anything other than saving lives. If you asked me what I wanted to do 2 years ago, I would tell you that I wouldnt be able to do anything. I grew up in a really rough, abusive, and neglectful household. When my dad and his wife got custody of me and I moved to a new school I started hanging out with the wrong group of people because I wanted some sort of "social validation". My mentality started getting very bad and I started smoking marijuana to cope and then I got expelled from school. I assumed I would never be able to recover from that mistake, I thought that I would never be able to get into college or do anything with my life. But 4 days ago, I got accepted into East Tennessee State University.

I want to prove to everyone, your past does not define you and this scholarship will help me do that. Just because you made some bad decisions does not make you a bad person. You can recover. Without HOSA I wouldnt be where I am now. If it weren't for the HOSA Heath Career Display Competition then I would not have gotten to see my passion for surgery. I live in a house of eight and our parents can not afford to pay for our school so this scholarship would help me more than you could imagine. HOSA has helped introduce me to so many opportunities including the medical assisting competition coming up in March. HOSA is helping prepare me for my future of becoming a surgeon and I will forever be thankful for it.

• odurosta000
    odurosta000 Member Posts: 2 👋 | Newcomer
    edited October 2021

I'm Stacy Oduro and I am a Junior at Rock Hill High School. Even though I haven't been in HOSA for that long it has played a big role in discovering which career path I would enjoy and excel in. I joined HOSA during COVID-19 last year as a sophomore. COVID-19 has affected me in different ways and brought many challenges my way. It had impacted my regular routines, education, and life events. Having to juggle adjusting new social routines, spending long hours completing online coursework, and opportunity seeking without the in-person support from other peers was overwhelming as well as having to skip in-person gatherings. However, during COVID I really got to explore my passions. I am interested in Pharmaceuticals and the Engineering pathway in Healthcare. Even though I haven't been in HOSA for that long it has played a big role in discovering which career path I would enjoy and excel in. HOSA offers Competitive Events designed to motivate members and improve their skills and knowledge. There are various unique competitive events offered and it is constantly expanding and improving. I have always loved applying mathematical principles to solve problems so when looking through the Event List I instantly knew which competition I was going to pursue. Medical Math. Math has been my first love for as long as I can remember, it was the only subject that I had never lost interest in and continued to excel at. I think critically when it comes to Math and often wonder why a certain formula works, can I trace the steps used to define a concept, can I solve a problem, can I explain the logic behind the process they used to reach a solution. Mathematics can be used in simple or complex ways, like calculating averages or pinning down equations that show exactly how two variables are related to each other. HOSA allowed me to realize that Pharmaceuticals would be the perfect option for me and I cannot wait to learn more about the career. Winning the Scholarship would mean the world to me because it would be a big investment in my future and would make more opportunities accessible to me.

@HOSA #HOSAScholarshipChallenge

• 432SR
    432SR Member Posts: 3 👋 | Newcomer

Hello, I am Srushti Bhakta and this is my application. I learned that I have a fear of failure when I went on to give a speech for the HOSA officer voting meeting. The moment I was in front of everyone my mind went blank, then thoughts of my friends not liking me, the thoughts of myself hating me, the thoughts of embarrassing my family, and the thoughts of complete failure rose from the darkness of complete silence in my mind. As I was consumed by these thoughts, I lost the officer position before I even tried. These thoughts kept on consuming me until the day all the officers were declared. It said that my fellow peer became an officer. In that moment, I shattered, the image I had of myself shattered, and the only thing left behind was me: the raw, vulnerable me. I realized that I was going to become a nurse because I had feared that I was not good enough to become a Mental Health Counselor. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to become a Mental Health Counselor because I was not intelligent, or strong enough to do so. So, if I am not capable of the career that I am passionate about, then why should I try, right? No, in that moment of failure, HOSA reminded me that it is not results that matter but the journey that one takes to go toward that goal. I learned that I can not let my fear define my future, it was I that should have the power over my decisions. So, I decided to change my path in life and go towards a career that makes my life an unlimited amount of free refills of happiness.

@HOSA #HOSAScholarshipchallenge

• Angelina_g_z
    Angelina_g_z Member Posts: 35 🏞️ | Wanderer

Before starting high school, I had always been determined in pursuing a career in the healthcare/medical field. However, one thing that I didn't necessarily have in mind was joining HOSA - Future Health Professionals, which is an organizational club focused on helping members explore new health professions in the medical field, as well as engage themselves in activities and service projects revolved around the idea of bettering the future of healthcare. Nonetheless, I'm beyond grateful to have chosen the decision of joining HOSA last year during the beginning of my freshman year. As mentioned before, since I was younger, I had always intended in pursuing a career in the medical field. However, I didn't exactly know how to approach this goal in terms of planning wise. Although good grades and conduct play a role in this process, I knew that there just had to be something else; the missing factor that made me stuck on how to plan appropriately. Thus, by joining HOSA, I got the amazing opportunity of listening to actual medical professionals explain to both me and other HOSA members their significant roles in the world of healthcare, as well as how exactly they got to the standpoint in their lives that they're at today. Therefore, HOSA opened up a door of new opportunities for me to discover in the field of medicine and healthcare, as well as showing me how to approach this sort of profession due to actual medical professionals' testimonials.

#HOSAScholarshipchallenge

• Angelina_g_z
    Angelina_g_z Member Posts: 35 🏞️ | Wanderer

Before starting high school, I had always been determined in pursuing a career in the healthcare/medical field. However, one thing that I didn't necessarily have in mind was joining HOSA - Future Health Professionals, which is an organizational club focused on helping members explore new health professions in the medical field, as well as engage themselves in activities and service projects revolved around the idea of bettering the future of healthcare. Nonetheless, I'm beyond grateful to have chosen the decision of joining HOSA last year during the beginning of my freshman year. As mentioned before, since I was younger, I had always intended in pursuing a career in the medical field. However, I didn't exactly know how to approach this goal in terms of planning wise. Although good grades and conduct play a role in this process, I knew that there just had to be something else; the missing factor that made me stuck on how to plan appropriately. Thus, by joining HOSA, I got the amazing opportunity of listening to actual medical professionals explain to both me and other HOSA members their significant roles in the world of healthcare, as well as how exactly they got to the standpoint in their lives that they're at today. Therefore, HOSA opened up a door of new opportunities for me to discover in the field of medicine and healthcare, as well as showing me how to approach this sort of profession due to actual medical professionals' testimonials.

Angelina Zepeda: Sophomore, Hobart High School

• Tallo Community Manager
    Tallo Community Manager Administrator, Moderator, Tallo Staff Posts: 233 admin

UPDATE - HOSA Headquarters was very pleased with the impressive and thoughtful scholarship entries that were submitted for the scholarship challenge. We will be posting the winner on Monday, November 22

• Tallo Community Manager
    Tallo Community Manager Administrator, Moderator, Tallo Staff Posts: 233 admin

The winner of the HOSA Scholarship Challenge is @54donuts for their amazing post The Catalyst To Change

Congratulations!

This discussion has been closed.