Sophomore Year is Coming

xoxorileyy
xoxorileyy Member Posts: 110 💫 | Contributor

So this is for all of you upcoming Sophomores. I wanted to write something to give advice and help. I didn't actually get to attend my Sophomore year at school because of online learning but I still wanted to share what I wished someone would have told me.

Procrastination:

DO NOT DO IT!!!! Trust me it will just hurt you in the end. As a fellow procrastinator let me tell you that if you make procrastinating a habit it is going to be extremely hard to get out of. I started procrastinating my sophomore year and now as I am getting ready for junior year it is going to be a hard couple of weeks at first. So please, do not procrastinate, it causes unnecessary stress and pressure to yourself and won't benefit you at all.

Homework:

I made a post for freshman year and the homework is the same, well not the same work but it's the same concept. So I suggest you start writing notes in Cornell Note style to help study and just help you with your homework. Another good thing is to study or practice good habits for studying because you want to get yourself into the habit of studying for college. I know college is 2 years away but trust me time flies by really quickly. Also here is a picture of the Cornell note style:

Extra-Credit:

Do all the extra credit your teacher gives you. Trust me this helps a lot, even if it doesn't seem that way. The extra credit can help bump your grade up and it doesn't hurt your grade in any way so might as well get it. However, some teachers don't offer extra credit and some offer extra credit with every assignment you get, it all depends on your teachers so ask about their extra credit policy.

Friends:

When making more friends I would say surround yourself with people that make you happy and support you. I would also say that your friends should push you to be the best version of yourself. For me, the few friends I have bring the competitive side out of me and this helps me get the best grades I can and makes me a better person. Also remember, a little friendly competition has never hurt anyone. However, I have had my fair share of toxic friends in the past and all it did was cause pain and insecurities. My advice to you is if there is anyone toxic in your life, I suggest you cut them off from your life immediately. Now, I know this is way easier said than done but it's what's best for you and can help you later on.

Volunteering:

Just like freshman year, you should start volunteering. For me personally, I am in this academic program called HEAL. In this program, you have to do community service. During freshman year we had to do 20. For Sophomore year we had to do 50 hours, Junior year is 60, and Senior year is 70. I would say this is a good goal to set for yourself because it looks extremely good to colleges. Now, I know not everyone has the time or can't do volunteer but do what you can remember this isn't a necessity just a recommendation.

Clubs:

Join some clubs. This is a great way to make friends and explore your interests. This also looks really good on a college resume. Some good clubs to join are:

• HOSA
  • ASB
  • Theater
  • Band/Marching band
  • Choir
  • DATA/Photography
  • Any sport of your choosing

All schools offer different clubs and for that reason, I would see what your school has to offer. A great way to do this is either to talk to your teachers or your school counselor.

Time Management:

During this year you should figure your time management situation out because next year you are going to be a junior and it's supposed to be the hardest year of high school. If you figure your time management situation out then this will help you a lot later on in life. Ways to Improve your time management skills are:

• Prioritize your tasks
  • Use the block schedule method
  • Set your limits on what you can do
  • Give yourself breaks
  • Try using different time management techniques

To learn more about the time block method @cab made a post going more in-depth about how this type of scheduling works. I personally also use this method and there are many apps that you can use for it as well. Sometimes I like to handwrite it all down but that can get a little too much sometimes because it depends on how much you have going on during your week. But some apps that would be good are "Block Time Tracker," "TimeBloc," and etc. Here is the link to the other discussion about this type of schedule.

https://community.tallo.com/discussion/2508/simplifying-your-life-the-block-schedule

College:

Start researching some colleges that you would want to go to. Some websites I use are Cappex.com, CollegeXpress.com, and Niche.com. All of these websites you have to sign up for and they ask you certain questions. For example, do you want to go to a public, private, or any kind of school? They could also ask, what is your career goals, location preferences, and price range. However, if you don't know what you want to do when you are older I would say take a quiz like the quiz from truity.com. This quiz is a personality quiz and tells you what careers you would be good at. Now I am not saying base your decisions solely on a quiz online but it does help explore your interests. It also tells a little about your personality type and what works best for you.

Goals:

You should start writing down your goals. For example, write down:

• Short-Term goals
  • Long-Term goals
  • Career goals
  • Academic goals
  • Personally goals

This is just an example, but if you write down your goals and how you want to achieve them then it makes it easier to see what the plan is. Remember a goal without a plan is just a wish.

Well, I hope this helped anyone and thank you for reading (:

Comments