So You're Gonna Be a Freshman?

xoxorileyy
xoxorileyy Member Posts: 110 💫 | Contributor

I am here to give some tips for the upcoming freshmen. Well, if you are reading this either you are a freshman or you are just curious, either way, I will be sharing some advice. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more advice in the comments.

Clubs/Sports/Extracruiculars:

Since you are going to be a freshman I recommend joining some clubs or sports. This is a great way to make friends and become a part of the school. This also looks extremely well on college applications. It also lets you explore your interests. However, you don't want to overload your schedule and burn yourself out, so keep that in mind.

Classes:

During your freshman year, the classes shouldn't be that hard, unless you decided to take extremely hard classes. However, for class, I recommend doing all of the extra credit your teachers offer because it helps a lot. You should also get involved in class, now I know for some people that is extremely difficult and nerve-racking but just try your best. Trust me you got this!

Homework:

For your homework, I recommend doing it either the day you get it or the next day. This is because if you start procrastinating now then it will be extremely hard to stop later on, trust me I am speaking from experience. Another thing I recommend is to start taking notes to help you with tests or just reviewing the material. I write notes in Cornell Note style. I have put a picture of how to set it up and how to use it as well below.

Friends:

When making friends I would say surround yourself with people that make you happy and support you. I would also say that your friends should push you to be the best version of yourself. For me, the few friends I have bring the competitive side out of me and this helps me get the best grades I can and makes me a better person. Also remember, a little friendly competition has never hurt anyone. I have dealt with many toxic friends in the past and all it did was cause pain and insecurities. If there is anyone who is toxic I suggest you cut them off from your life. Now, I know this is way easier said than done but it's what's best for you and can help you later on. Here is a link to a previous discussion started by @Ria2022 about how to deal with toxic people, the comments are very helpful: https://community.tallo.com/discussion/comment/22139#Comment_22139

Self-Care:

Now, this is important in any part of your life. You should always perform self-care and just take some days for yourself. There is this book I read during freshman year called The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens By Sean Covey. It is all about habits to improve your life. However, take a look at habit number seven. This habit states to "Sharpen the saw" meaning to take care of yourself. It can restore your energy and make you feel way better than getting burned out. It also helps reduce stress. There are 8 main areas of self-care, physical, psychological, emotional, social, professional, environmental, spiritual, and financial. However, self-care can look like taking a walk after school, eating healthy, fixing your sleep schedule, reading a good book, doing activities you enjoy and etc.

Volunteering:

For this area, I recommend starting to do community service. For my academic program, I am in we had to do 20 hours during freshman year. I would say this is a good goal to set for yourself because it looks extremely good to colleges. For Sophomore year we had to do 50 hours, Junior year is 60, and Senior year is 70. Now, I know not everyone has the time or can't do volunteer but do what you can remember this isn't a necessity just a recommendation. Depending on what you want to do when you are older then that says where you should volunteer. For example, if you want to be a vet you should volunteer at an animal shelter. A good way to find where you should volunteer is by researching it.

Well thank you for reading and I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, comments, or concerns let me know.

Comments