Community Chat: What Is Job Shadowing? Complete Guide for Students

Tallo Wordsmith
Tallo Wordsmith Member, Administrator, Moderator, Tallo Staff Posts: 107 admin

Originally posted on Tallo.com: https://tallo.com/college-students/what-is-job-shadowing/

• Job shadowing is when a student or job-seeker follows and observes a professional for a short period of time, such as a day or a week.
  • After you’ve shadowed, you should have a better idea of what professionals do each day and whether or not you can see yourself following that career path. 
  • Finding a job shadowing opportunity in your future field may be easier than you think with the help of your school or personal connections.

Learning in a classroom is great and all, but it’s not the only way to gain know-how. In fact, studies show that hands-on learning helps students retain knowledge and score better on tests. It’s for these reasons that many institutes of education have begun to implement more and more real-life learning programs, from the science classroom to career development initiatives. (Read more)

Is job shadowing part of your education and career path? Share your job shadowing plans with the Community!

Comments

• MonseC423
    MonseC423 United States📍Member, Tallo Ambassador, Group Leader Posts: 1,596 🏆️ I Champion  

Thank you @Tallo Wordsmith!

I was actually thinking about this yesterday! I would really like to get the opportunity to shadow near me. (as a nurse)

Still looking on a way to reach out, but this definitely gave me a lot of insight and background on Job- Shadowing.

💫Thanks again!💫

• Badgagnon502
    Badgagnon502 WAMember Posts: 190 💫 | Contributor

this is a good resource thanks

• lovelykitten15
    lovelykitten15 Arkansas Member Posts: 81 👁️‍🗨️ | Seeker

Thank you @Tallo Wordsmith I'm actually doing a job shadowing the 9th of this month to get some experience in writing.