problem #1

Lov3lyLayla04Lov3lyLayla04 Member 👋 | Newcomer

So, I have problem, I want to become a singer and have my own YouTube channel were I just be my goofy-silly- self (basically what Lizza Koshy does on her channel). My mom Disapproves. What do I do? Someone please help me out. Do I just become a singer and have my own Youtube channel under an alias?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MonseC423MonseC423 United States📍Member, Tallo Ambassador 🔮 | Paragon
    Accepted Answer

Hi @Lov3lyLayla04!

I definitely agree with @gabrielle_s and @Mr_Smiley.

Having a youtube platform is lots of work and it is very time-consuming. I just checked your account, and it says that you are in High School. Those four years are crucial when it comes to academics. Trying to balance a social media career with High school would cause you a lot of stress and conflict between schedules.

Have you ever heard of MySpace?ListVerse?Six degrees? The Palace?

All of the names I just mentioned are actually the names of old social media. My point with them is that they eventually become replaced and never used again. I don´t know if or when, but I think it is safe that one day Youtube will join that list. The question is, if you would have a singing career on youtube, what would happen when youtube ¨dies¨? You would be left floating.

From what I am getting at, singing IS your passion. I would suggest considering other similar pathways (Don´t stop singing or your dream, just as like a back up I guess). I would say that you focus throughout high school and maybe try another career path. You could be a vocal instructor or music teacher or a producer etc1 There are many options! If these do not appeal to you, there are lots of other careers to explore out there.

To summarize, study really hard in high school so you can get a degree at a college (or trade school/study abroad/whatever floats your boat), THEN in college or after start your channel.

Good Luck!

Answers

• Mr_SmileyMr_Smiley Member 👋 | Newcomer

I think an alias is a good thing and once you're FAMOUS, you tell your mother. I bet she's a great mother, but no parent should disapprove of their child's dream. This doesn't mean you get to slack in school, think of singing as a past-time, You get good grades, and then you sing, you get bad grades you get kicked off (but not really). What I'm saying is that you should also have a back-up plan. Good Luck!!

• gabrielle_sgabrielle_s Virginia⚡Member 💫 | Contributor

It's understandable why she might disapprove. She might not think it's a real job or might worry that you'll go through financial bumps since trying to be a singer and a YouTuber is a hard thing to do. Personally I'm doing my YouTube channel once I'm 18! I'll be in college and I feel like that's the best thing for me. But for you I think you should wait until your 18 as well, only because your mother doesn't approve of it. But if you come up with a plan for your YouTube career! I've come up with a full plan, how I'm going to post videos and when, the content of my videos. I think if you can plan that all out it'll help her get more comfortable with the idea of you doing YouTube. Another good idea would be to come up with a plan for you to also be making money outside of YouTube :) Hope this helps!

• gabrielle_sgabrielle_s Virginia⚡Member 💫 | Contributor

@MonseC423 Is totally right! Being in HS is a time to really focus on academics! That's why I suggest for you to wait for once you're out of school :)

• ZombieKKZombieKK Member 👋 | Newcomer

Hi, I think that If you can manage your time between school and you channel well, you should be fine. I personally created a channel recently and I have a job as well as school. I’m seventeen, so it’s a bit hard to handle but I only post once a week so I don’t stress my self out. Summer has also just begun so it would give you time to get a feel for making and uploading content. You could make an alias and tell your mom later, but I think you could also make compromise that studies or what ever else would come first. Good luck on your career with whatever you decide to do though!

• Rach_d2022Rach_d2022 Member 🔮 | Paragon

If you have a lot of time. Money to put into. Go for it. But if your mom does not like the idea listen to her she knows what is best for you. Maybe start it at 18 that way you really know what you want to do with your life and won't be stuck in a career you don't want :) best of luck

• MelMel Compton, CA Member 🗺️ | Pathfinder

An alias is a great idea, I have an alias and I only ever use it in situations I don't like. I think you should try it out, don't be discouraged if you don't get a large following right off the bat, it takes time.

Your mom disapproving could just be her not wanting you to get your hopes up. I love music and is a career choice i think about often but my mom would discourage me at first so I wouldn't get my hopes up only for it to have been wishful thinking. Now she brings up things I'm good at or enjoy doing. This could be how your mom is doing it, discouraging you but wants you to pursue something you love.

Do what you love, do it with no limits but be safe about it. @gabrielle_s is Completely right, if you are still a minor (under the age of 18) wait until you are a legal adult. Being a Youtuber and Influencer is a lot of work, stress and takes a toll on your mental health. I've seen many Youtubers say they saw their mental health decrease once they started getting a large following because they weren't used to so much hate. You need to be strong, mentally physically and emotionally for a job like this.

Look for other ways to make money because it takes time for Youtube to notice small channels and You will still need an income. Be safe and smart about everything. Good Luck!