CALLING ALL COMMUNITY COLLEGE KIDS!!!!!

gabrielle_sgabrielle_s Virginia⚡Member 💫 | Contributor

Alright, I'm very indecisive on whether or not I want to go to a 4-year college straight outta high school or just go to my lovely (it's honestly a really nice college) community college for 2 years and then transfer to a Uni. Now, I'd only be going to a community college IF I don't get scholarship money for Uni's. But if I don't- then me and my parents have agreed that I will go to a 2-year college. I'm honestly really okay with that decision, mainly because my parents have also agreed that I will be allowed to live with them during the 2 year period.

A lot of you might be like "OHMYGOD THE WHOLE POINT OF COLLEGE IS TO GET OUT" hardy har har. I'm okay with this arrangement because my parents will not be treating me like I'm still a high schooler. We've decided that while I'm living there I will be helping out w/paying for groceries, and I'll help my mom out with errands. I'm totally okay with those two things. I mean come on- I get to live here for free and just pay for my own groceries.

Another reason why I'm okay with this is because I'm going to start doing YouTube once I'm in college and I don't want to live in a dorm with someone I don't really know while I'm doing it. Besides, having my own room at my parents means I'll get to decorate however I want, and I'll be able to go to and from my house whenever (no curfew unlike other schools.)

Another-nother reason why I'm okay with it is because your first two years of college are LITERALLY just like high school. You're taking math, history, english, science and your pick of electives for TWO YEARS. So if you go to a Uni you're paying thousands of dollars to do the things you did in high school...let that sink in HAHA. Personally, I think going to a WAY cheaper school for two years and then switching to a Uni to take classes that you NEED for your major is way better than going to an expensive Uni right away.

But, this was all my opinion! I wanted to know if anybody (who's going(or thinking about going) to a community college before Uni) thought the same things! What are your thoughts about my plans?

Comments

• reamadsreamads Tennessee, USAMember, Tallo Ambassador 🗺️ | Pathfinder

I think that is great that you think that is the best option for you!

Personally, I do plan on going straight to a four-year, but for my major, I would be taking all of the classes for it all four years. Plus, I plan on getting 1 year worth of credits out of the way my next two years in high school! So I hope to go in as a sophomore (but preferably a second-semester sophomore!)

• VforVictoryVforVictory Member 💫 | Contributor

@gabrielle_s

You've got my attention! ;)

I'm also in a similar boat as @reamads

I have gotten a lot of college credits with my community college back in HS, and now I'm going to St. Louis College of Pharmacy with its 7-year program, including three years of undergrad and 4 years of the professional program.

After this, I plan on returning to the community college for American Sign Language classes.

Although I didn't attend community college in the traditional sense, I believe it is a great way to prepare for your career journey as well as to enhance your career after graduation.

By going to my college, even though it wasn't a community college, I also lived at home to save money, so I feel you. I just moved out of my parents' house this past April. One nice thing about living at home, other than what you already mentioned, was that since I wasn't paying for room and board, my parents' offered to pay for my gas to and from the college.

#thebenefitsoflivingathome :P

• gabrielle_sgabrielle_s Virginia⚡Member 💫 | Contributor

Hey @VforVictory you seem very successful lol! I really do think that I'll do community college just because it is cheaper and I would get to stay at home :) But your comment will definitely keep me thinking about it, thanks for you input!

😂

Oh man! I'm not feeling really successful right now.

COVID shook up my world, and now my graduation date is a year later. :(

I know I made the right choice because COVID is stressful, but now I'm going back to school in August after taking this last semester off, and it's like oh no!

This time it will be better because I've gotten both doses of the vaccine. This is what I'm telling myself. 😅

Anyway, it's only one year, and I'll still be a pharmacist in 2023. :)

Everyone's college experience is different. You need to do what will make you most successful. If that means community college, do it.

<3

• Rach_d2022Rach_d2022 Member 🔮 | Paragon

Awe no I'm sorry about that :( But I'm sure everything will work out!!! Also: once you become a pharmacist, I'll be graduating high school :)

Yep me too. lol We will all be graduating at the same time just at different places

@gabrielle_s @Rach_d2022

Thanks for your kind words! Some days I cry. Other days I know I made the right decision.

Yay!! :D This makes me happy!

Push towards graduation!!

@VforVictory Awe no! Everything will be fine, the fact that you're doing all of this is what matters! Everything will work out for you. I wish you all the luck!!! :)

It will all work out in the end. I feel you though I cry too and sometimes it is for no reason or because I'm stressed. But always remember to leave tomorrow until tomorrow. Saying that over and over has helped me alot

• musicandmissionmusicandmission Member 👋 | Newcomer

I just graduated from a 2 year community college (I was dual enrolled while in high school) and it was such a wonderful experience. There's such a stigma around community colleges but they are amazing places with numerous opportunities. I start at a 4 year in the Fall, so I can't compare them yet, but I really feel that it was a wonderful way to be introduced to a different standard of education.

What I do know right now is that it's a wonderful opportunity and a cheaper opportunity. I got all of those basic courses out of the way and now I can move on and dedicate the money I saved to the classes specific to my major.

And great news! You'll make great connections with teachers and they can be useful in applying for scholarships to help pay for your future education. You'll never know when you'll need a recommendation from your literature teacher or even your music teacher when applying for different types of scholarships and aid.

I wish you luck!

@musicandmission

I second what you said! :)

Yep, I agree. I third that. I'm doing the same thing