How to Start Up a Club at Your High School

cotton_candycotton_candy Minnesota, USAMember 🔮 | Paragon
edited May 18 in High School Life

Have you ever wanted to start up a club at your school but don't know how? This post could help! Extracurriculars look good on college applications, and starting up a club would show initiative and responsibility. Let's take a look at the steps below...

1) Brainstorm Ideas

Before you can start up a club, you have to set its purpose. To start, think of your interests. What do you like? Think about what your school offers already. If your school already has multiple gaming clubs, it might not be in your interest to create another one. Think ahead. By starting up a club, you are creating the beginning of something that will hopefully carry on past your years in high school. Make sure it is something that people will still be inclined to join, say, 5 years from now.

If you need help thinking of ideas, here is a list of high school clubs:

2) Ask around to see if anyone is interested

Before you make your club official, it might help to see the general interest in it. Ask your classmates something like this:

You: "Hey Bob, would you be interested in joining my Shakespeare Club? I am working to make it an official school club, but I first want to see the general interest of student body. What are your thoughts?"

Then, Bob might say something like this:

Bob: Sure, I love Shakespeare! I'd be happy to join.

Or, if Bob doesn't like Shakespeare, he might say something like this:

Bob: Nah, Shakespeare isn't my thing. Plus, I'm busy with Hockey and Football during the school year, so I wouldn't have time. (We get it Bob, you're a jock. No need to brag 😂)

It might help to write down the names of the students who have an interest in the club, or have them sign their names in a notebook with their contact information in case your club does become official and you want to let them know.

EX: Bob writes down his name in a special notebook you bought just for this purpose. Bob the Builder. He then writes down next to it his contact information. [email protected]*

*This is not a real email address. I also refuse to answer any questions about why you are going to school with Bob the Builder. 😂

3) Register with your school

Ask a teacher or the school principal about the steps to starting up a club. Each school will be slightly different, so make sure you clarify what you will need to do. Find a teacher who will allow you to use their room. Once you get registered, your club is now a thing! Congratulations! You're finished!

Just kidding, you're not. Now, you have to...

4) Spread the word!

Remember those people who had to ask about their interest in the club? If you were smart, you'd have written down their contact information (cough cough BOB). If you did, you just made your life way easier! Send out an email or text to the people on your list stating when you're club is going to meet. Be friendly! Here is an example...

EX: (email to Bob)

Dear Bob the Builder,

Thank you for expressing interest in my Shakespeare Club! I recently got it registered and now I am looking for members. Our first meeting will be on _______ in _______'s room. Hope to see you there!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

__________ (student's name)

Make flyers promoting your club and hang them on the walls (make sure you have permission, of course). If you have social media in which a lot of your school follows, post something about your club to there. If your school has a morning news channel (IDK what to call it), try seeing if you could put an advertisement for your club on there for a week or so. Get the word out there or else no one will come to your club!

5) Hold your first meeting

In this meeting, talk about what you will be doing in this club. Get to know some of the other people. Oh, and bring snacks - after all, you doesn't like snacks? Just make sure that these meetings stay consistent.

6) Assign roles as necessary

After a few times of meeting, it might be nice to assign club roles. For example, Bob joined our club, and he wants to be Treasurer. If no one else wants to be Treasurer, than you can assign Bob that role. Here is a list of some common roles:

• President: Leads and supervises the club with help from other officers.*
  • Vice President: Fills in when the president is not available.
  • Secretary: Takes notes during meetings, maintains club records, keeps members updated on club news and events.
  • Treasurer: Manages the club’s budget and expenses

*It might be best if you are the president of your club, as you were the one to start it up and you know what you want to get out of it.

7) Establish a budget

If your club wants to go on a field trip in the future, or you even just plan on having to pay small fees for snacks or printing, it might be beneficial to set a budget. This is what a Treasurer does (That's you, Bob). If you need money for your club, try fundraising!* Just make sure you don't spend more than your budget allows.

8) Keep your club going

Make sure your club is something that will be going on in a few years from when you started it. This will look good to colleges because it shows you have commitment. Make sure you don't do everything at once. Space things out! If you complete everything you wanted to do for your club in a month, you aren't going to have any ideas for the future. This is where asking other club member's opinions can be helpful. Vote on ideas for different club meetings or field trips. Make sure everyone is involved.

And there you go - you just started up a club at your school! Are you proud? You should be. You've just created a legacy.

So what do you think? Will you try creating a club at your school? What clubs does your school offer? Any other questions you have? Leave them down below!

Comments