Do you plan to work for a Union?

MelMel Compton, CA Member 🗺️ | Pathfinder

Labor Unions give workers the power and ability to negotiate for more favorable working conditions and other benefits.

Comments

• MelMel Compton, CA Member 🗺️ | Pathfinder

I actually forgot about this discussion.....

• Rach_d2022Rach_d2022 Member 🔮 | Paragon

lol. No Personally I don't but that is a great question and will ask others if they plan to

here is a website. Hope this helps some :) @Mel

edited June 2

Unions are beneficial for many reasons. My entire mom's side of the family works for Unions and my cousins plan to do the same and I was wondering is anyone else here planned to do the same.

• VforVictoryVforVictory Member 💫 | Contributor

I've worked for a union.

One of my co-workers wasn't getting paid correctly, and someone suggested bringing it up with the union.

Miraculously, all missed payments were given by the end of the month.🤣

I had another friend who was told by her boss that she was being let go because she may go on maternity leave.

When she brought it up with her union, they turned a blind eye. It really devasted her. (This is not the union from above.)

Thankfully, she was able to use the experience to strengthen her resolve and find a new and better job.

Truthfully, it is good that she was able to get out of that situation.

Unions make mistakes just like every other organization. It is important to do one's research and be involved with the union if one does decide to join and stand up for injustice and work to make the union better serve all its members.

oh wow, that's interesting. Great comment @VforVictory

That sucks! I've heard of that happening and it has never seemed logical. Thank you so much for sharing!

• VforVictoryVforVictory Member 💫 | Contributor

@Mel

Discrimination is never logical. It's very important to look at the situation and see who has the best ability to perform the task.

Saying a man is able to do it better because he won't have to worry about having children is not reasonable.

Men can also become fathers, and they should be able to have "maternity" leave too.

As I said, my friend was able to find another job that she enjoyed more with better benefits, so it worked out in the end. :)

My biggest advice is that if you decide to join the union is that you are involved with the union. I was working with my union to hold a career fair for people with disabilities; however, COVID-19 has delayed that indefinitely. :(

• Heaven2021Heaven2021 Member 👋 | Newcomer

A union makes sure when we are going through a depression stage like we have experienced with covid -19. That the workers are paid and not struggling. They tend to treat you like a family.